Saturday, October 08, 2005

Bad beginnings

My first attempt at any kindof travel for travel's sake was in 6th grade. It was a school trip
to Vaigai dam and Kumbakkarai falls (near Madurai).

I grew up in Trichy, and in our family, we did not have this fundaa of taking vacations and doing touristy things. Most of our travel as a family would be to some temples in Kumbakonam/Chidambaram/Thiruvaiyaru etc. I used to enjoy these trips simply because they mostly meant a dip in the River-Cauvery (yes, Cauvery almost always had water back then).

In that context, i was looking forward to this school excursion like an excited kid (well, i was an excited kid, in reality, back then!!). I was supposed to be at a specific bus-stop at 6 am on a Saturday. It was Navraathri('Dasahara') time, and the previous night we were visiting families that had invited us for 'Golu'. When i got up the next day, it was around 6:30, and i saw mom, dad and sis still sleeping. I created a ruckus, everyone got up, I dressed up hurriedly, and dad took me to the bus-stop and someone said a school-bus had just passed. I was disappointed beyond words can tell. (i vividly remember the sequence of events and way i felt...i even remember what i was wearing...a marron and black shirt...and this was in 1988)...I ended up playing football in the school grounds that whole day...

4 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

hmmm - reminds me of a non trip from my child hood - except it was a out of town school friend who had invited me to spend the weekend and her house and then never turned up - i waited till 8PM (from abt 3PM)outside and had to be brought in kicking and screaming even then cz I simply sud not conceive she wouldnt come -thought she had been delayed and the people at my house were the meanies who wanted to malign my 'freind' and keep me from waiting ... something like that. i think it became a bit of theme, actually, now that i think of it

Friday, October 14, 2005  
Blogger frissko said...

prerona,
hmmm...how long do u wait now before u give up on a 'friend'?:)..but 5 hrs is really long even for a kid to wait and actually hope that the person would turn up..u were some optimist...i think all kids are..and with age cynicism(i'd like to call it maturity) sets in..

Wednesday, October 19, 2005  
Blogger Prerona said...

:) ya - thin line between the 2

Thursday, October 27, 2005  
Blogger the Monk said...

i've had some experiences like that too.....

Monday, November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home